In diverse communities across the US, academic achievement gaps exist. Usually, and including the one I am familiar with in my school district, these gaps are racial in nature; and this is usually tied to socioeconomic status of the families. This is the case in my experience.
Academic achievement gaps are already present in young children, and often before kindergarten. If a family is low income and struggling (families of color are over-represented in this demographics), the parents cannot afford the types of programs, clubs, sports, music and the arts, vacations, trips to the museum, home libraries, and other activities, that higher income families take for granted. The difference in opportunities at young ages create academic gaps, and by the time these kids get to high school, the academic gaps lead to more opportunity gaps that high schools offer in so many forms, which generally ensure the academic gaps does not shrink, but may still widen.
The gaps in communities can be generational. These are enormous problems for school districts, as well as society as a whole. I've worked on achievement gaps for some twenty seven years, helping create Project Excite that was working for the students and families in the program Gaps were closing before the kids got to the high school, and they were able to get into the honors and AP pathways and a brighter future than on average.
I recently used AI to help do a meta-study on what is out there in the literature and online when it comes to achievement gaps. Using this as a foundation, I went ahead and, in the last few weeks, put together hybrid books on various aspects of achievement gaps in communities, and what teachers need to consider and know, and what suggestions and options teachers have to actually work with their students to reduce and eliminate gaps.
Hybrid books refer to creating a manuscript via one's conversations with their AI, in my case ChatGPT 5.5. Based on the conversational history on these types of topics over an extended period of time, when I asked my AI to write out information and plans and possibilities for an audience of teachers, within minutes I got material for a book. The AI included information it remembers from our discussions, and added new things to think about, some that I almost certainly would not have thought of myself. The AI wrote a book that I could then edit when necessary, but by and large it did a better job than I would have done by myself, and in minutes compared to what would have been many months of research, drafting, editing, and losing sleep and hair! I created, so far, a 4-booklet series I call Cut to the Chase for Teachers for attacking the issue of achievement gaps in so many school, once and for all.
These are formatted in a style heavy in bullet points and statements of the key ideas - with no fluff or countless pages of descriptions, anecdotes, stories, and so on - so that readers can get through it in about an hours worth of time. I recommend reading and using these together with colleagues, or for PD sessions, to get A LOT of ideas and options for some aspect of AI, so that you can then create something specific for your classroom and community. In fact, teachers can use their own AI platforms to take the different options mentioned in the books and quickly write lessons and activities for your students. These books have laid out examples of K-12 planning, for teachers, administrations, and department chairs to consider and help plan specific pathways that are best-suited for your students and district. Again, there are A LOT of ideas, topics, and issues in these books that can help guide your thinking at any school, for any grade level, and for any subject areas you teach or work with students.
I think these will be quite useful - now - for teachers of all grade levels and subject areas!
- Cut to the Chase for Teachers: What we know about Racial and Socioeconomic Achievement Gaps in K-12 Education
- Cut to the Chase for Teachers: Using EELS to Reduce K-12 Achievement Gaps
- Cut to the Chase for Teachers: Effects of Stereotype Threat on K-12 Achievement Gaps
- Cut to the Chase for Teachers: Effects and Use of Multiple Intelligences in Reducing Achievement Gaps
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.